10 Home Decorating Ideas To Quickly Update Any Room
By Michael J. Holland
Not all home decorating ideas require a heavy investment of time and money. If you're looking for a few affordable home interior decorating ideas to freshen up a room over a weekend, try these ten:
Before you jump in your car and scour the town for home decorating accessories, let me give you a few great sites to check for home decorating ideas that may save you quite a bit of time.
- Rearrange The Furniture- Pull your furniture away from the walls. Try positioning it at intriguing angles. In the picture below, the sofa is arranged diagonally across my narrow living room. This makes the room look wider and provides a warm, inviting layout.
- Paint A Wall- Paint one wall your favorite color and make it the focal point. Hang interesting art on that wall and move a nice piece of furniture there. (Note: Make sure that the color is one that is shared with several other objects and fabrics in the room.)
- Bring In Plants- Greenery always adds a breath of fresh air to a room. If you don't have a green thumb, try silk plants and trees. The quality has gotten so good that its hard to distinguish them from the real thing.
- Lay An Area Rug- An area rug is a wonderful way of defining a conversation area. Try one that complements the room. Lay it at an angle beneath your coffee table. Find area rugs at Amazing Rugs.
- Hang Pictures or Mirror- Hang pictures that reflect your personality. Try frames that are more ornate. When hanging a mirror, try and position it so that it reflects and nice view or an interesting architectural element.
- Group Figurines- Pull out your favorite collectibles. Show off your personality. Find a display area and group related objects together, in sets of three or five. Try and vary the shapes.
- Add Decorative Pillows- The good news about decorative pillows is that they are an easy way to add textures and patterns to a room. Still better, they can be changed to jazz up a sofa or chair before your room is ready for a major makeover.
- Replace Lamps- Lamps are probably the one thing in your home that will give others a clue that your room is outdated. Seek out new and fresh lamps that make a statement. Get low prices and top brand lamps, lighting and ceiling fans at Lighting Mania.
- Add A Throw Or Afghan- Similar to decorative pillows, throws and afghans add texture to your furniture. They come in all kinds of natural and man made fabrics. Find a pattern and style that you like.
- Eliminate Clutter- You'll hear me say this again and again. Clutter has a way of eliminating the desired mood and effect of any room. Find storage spaces for papers, toys, and other items that take from the personality of a room. Click on this link to learn more...
Home Storage Solutions: Ways To Organize Your Home.
If you have a decorative mirror or lamps in mind, I recommend that you check out
They have a wide and interesting selection of both.
And for quality prints and posters, browse through
They'll even frame your choice.
Michael J. Holland is the author of "The Awaken Your Interior Designer! Collection." His web site,http://www.home-decorating-made-easy.com, offer lots of FREE home decorating tips and ideas. Visit his site and subscribe to his free decorating ezine, DecoDreams...http://www.home-decorating-made-easy.com/free-interior-decorating-ideas.html